Burial mounds, sunken lanes and prehistoric fields testify that the landscape surrounding Aastrup Abbey has been inhabited since ancient times. Aastrup estate dates far back in time and was owned by nobleman Erik Krabbe, who was part of King Christian III’s Privy Council, in the first half of the 16th century. Krabbe lived here in 1540, when his young wife and their new-born twins were buried in Soderup Church.
In the 16th and 17th centuries the aristocracy established estates and built beautiful castles with ramparts and parks. The estate had two sets of ramparts, one of which has been preserved. From 1857 to 1988 "unmarried ladies of fine families” lived in the manor house, which was managed by the Nobleman’s Order of the Diocese of AastrupDannemandske Stift Aastrup. Today, the descendants of Frederik Vilhelm Dannemand live in the manor house.